Why I’m a big fan of the house dress
I’m going to go out on a style limb here. And potentially a 1950s’ style limb at that.
She tweeted me to pre-alert me about her post and to beg that I still keep her as a friend despite her “frumpy” house dress fashion confession.
But see, here’s where I surprised her.
I’m a big fan of the house dress. Huge fan. So huge, I may just come over all Betty Draper like (from TV series Mad Men, pictured above) and stand in the kitchen looking vacantly disinterested …
Just as I am very open about my love of tracky pants and bed socks for wearing while mooching around the house in winter; the house dress is my summer saviour.
In my neck of the woods, it gets hot – hot, damn sticky hot – in summer. And we don’t have airconditioning. So unless that sea breeze is a blowing I rely on my overhead fan and my ability to wear not very much at all to keep me from slowly steaming from the inside. A bit like a giant Chinese pork bun, only nowhere near as yummy.
I also work from home and would like to feel some level of comfort as I do so.
That’s where the house dress comes in. I have at least six on high rotation at last count.
This is why I love them:
1. They are each one garment in themselves. Which means, yes, apart from a bra and a pair of undies, I don’t have to think about what else I need to put on.
2. They are made from mostly natural, breathable fibres … everything from cotton through to modal and viscose.
3. Unlike Mad Man Betty’s structured ’50s frocks, mine are all of the loose fitting variety. To keep the non-existant air flowing, of course.
4. Most are “wash and wear” too because let’s face it, it really seems a waste to iron a dress that only your kids and the neighbour’s cat are likely to see.
5. With a couple of key accessories and a pair of wedges or fun flats, I can turn a house dress into a cafe frock quicker than you can say, want to meet me for a flat white.
Here are four house dresses you might like to try on for style:
Do you wear house dresses in summer? Found a cute one lately that you’d like to share with us? Do you mind getting “caught” in your house dress? Come on over at chat with us on the Justb Facebook wall … would love to hear your thoughts.