Wardrobe Rescue: the cotton dress
Wardrobe Rescue is a regular feature on justb. Nikki Parkinson is a former journalist-turned blogger and stylist. Have a wardrobe ailment that needs urgent attention? Let us know about it below…
Pants or frock? It’s the great wardrobe divide that I see all too often.
I have some incredibly girly friends who I don’t think I’ve ever seen in a pair of jeans. Even on casual Fridays. And I have some friends and clients who have cowered in the corner at the suggestion that they occasionally mix up their jeans and pants look for, gosh horror … a dress.
Let me state at the outset that I like to mix it up a bit but have a strong leaning towards a dress for this very good reason: it’s one garment.
Yep, one thing to throw on in what is the crazy morning rush hour. No coordination required (except with accessories) and you immediately look, well, dressed up.
Why am I banging on about dresses?
Both were bought from a second-hand store in Tribeca, NYC last year. And I haven’t worn either of them! This (left) makes me feel frumpy – do I need a belt? Be honest, I can cop it.
The wardrobe rescue:
1. Country Road Denim Boyfriend Blazer $199: Love the shape on this denim jacket but if you have a classic style in your wardrobe, that will work too. It just means you can wear a cotton dress now and not wait until summer. Layering any jacket over a dress always gives your whole outfit a lift.
2. Nancybird George Bag $315: I’m channelling a little bit of Offspring’s Nina Proudman with this look and this bag slung over your shoulder would not only complete the look but offer a great pop of colour.
3. Trenery Fringed Linen Scarf $39.95: Once again, a bit of Nina … a scarf is the easiest accessory to throw on. Wear looped around your neck now or in summer just falling open from the neck.
4. Diva 3 Pack of Rings $12.95: Cocktail rings rock, especially if you use your hands a lot while talking. Like I do. Any of these would work with the dresses above.
5. Sportsgirl Woven Stretch Belt $19.95: This belt will help give you shape with the red dress and I also think it would give the black and white dress a lift too.
6. Tree of Life Oxidised Silver Tribal Earrings $49.95: The Nina look is all about boho luxe – bohemian with style. Nina would definitely rock these earrings … as you would too.
7. RMK Deston Camel Boots $119.95: Ankle or knee-high boots work with this look. Add tights if cooler. Those awesome red boots in your wardrobe? The answer is YES.
Are you a dress or a pants girl? Are you obsessed by Nina Proudman? And if you have a garment in your wardrobe or something you’ve just bought that you don’t know what to wear it with, upload a link or photo of it to the justb. Facebook page. Nikki will rescue you!