Wardrobe rescue: school reunion
Wardrobe Rescue is a regular feature on justb. Nikki Parkinson is a former journalist-turned blogger and stylist. Have a wardrobe ailment that needs urgent attention? Let us know about it below…
More scary than a first date. More intimidating than a job interview. More fear inducing than turning up at a fancy dress party wondering if anyone else will be wearing a Wonder Woman costume.
The School Reunion.
Three words that have the capacity to send you right back to swinging on a chair at the back of a classroom waiting for that final bell to ring (or was that just me?).
When Candy Tweeted me and said not only did she have her school reunion this month but that she was organising it, I swung into action.
Forget the run sheets and the 1990s iPod playlist. She needed an outfit and she needed one fast.
Now Candy, from regional NSW, is a mum of seven. The reunion is in Sydney and she’d managed to secure this Wayne Cooper dress as her outfit starting point.
“Could you help me find the shoes and bag to go with?” she asked.
“It’s for my 20 year school reunion, so I’m thinking heels. I will have to carry a bag of sorts on the night as I’m running the show and will be packing an iPad with my lists in it. And I will be MC on the night too! Eeeep!”
The wardrobe rescue:
1. Wayne by Wayne Cooper Beaded Trim Kaftan $189: I love this choice. A kaftan is on-trend but you will still feel relaxed all night. Great starting point. To bring the dress to life, we’re going for a neutral with a pop of colour look which is very strong this season. Red looks great with these khaki tones.
2. Napoleon Perdis Lady in Red Lip Gloss $30: I’m a huge (new) fan of red lips and this lip gloss is the reason. It seriously suits everyone, it won’t budge for six hours and unlike other long-lasting lip colours, it won’t dry out your lips either. You’ll be on the mic so a stand-out lip is the go.
3. Samantha Wills Bohemian Bardot Earrings $65: Bringing the red up around your face will work beautifully. In a social situation like this when everyone’s starting with small talk, I can guarantee the first thing a woman will notice is the accessories worn closest to your face. A great ice breaker.
4. Witchery Occasion Crystal Bracelet $49.95: The event calls for a bit of bling and these colours offer that but not too OTT.
5. Mimco Molten Envelope Clutch $229: Ok, so you’ve got your iPad and all sorts of bits and pieces to fit in. You need an over-sized clutch. A large handbag would take away the dressiness of the occasion. This will look sleek when you’re carrying and fit the kitchen sink … and the fold-up flats below.
6. Guess heels $179: You know how I said they’re going to look at your earrings first, well the eyes are going to travel down next and when they hit these babies, you’re going to wow them. The neutral colour means you can get away with the ankle finish (a black would cut you off). They’ll look great from the stage too.
7. Tipsy Toes fold-up flats $19.95: I LOVE my heels but there comes a time at the end of the night (usually at the cab rank) when I just want to feel the ground again. Whip out a pair of these from your bag and watch how you’re the envy of everyone else.
Have you been to a school reunion lately? What did you wear? And if you have a garment in your wardrobe or something you’ve just bought that you don’t know what to wear it with, upload a link or photo of it to the justb. Facebook page. Nikki will rescue you!