News To You — January 9, 2012
Here’s your justb. cheat sheet to being interesting today:
Kate Middleton turns 30 today, Beyonce and Jay-Z had a baby, QF 32 hit turbulence injuring seven people who were out of their seats and scientists have confirmed that chicken soup really does help to cure a cold, but what really grabbed my attention today is the thought of escaping the news cycle.
NYT: 45 Places To Go In 2012
The New York Times yesterday published its list of 45 places it recommends for travel in 2012. Having just returned home to New York after spending two weeks in Australia I am in no position to be thinking about my next holiday, except that I am.
Here are the top ten places to travel to in 2012, according to the NYT. What I like about this list is that each choice offers a takeaway that is more than a getaway.
- Panama — See the famous canal before its multi-billion dollar expansion is complete.
- Helsinki, Finland — It’s all design all the time. This is the new cool.
- Myanmar — The boycott is off.
- London — The trifecta of the Olympics, the Queen and Charles Dickens turning 200.
- Oakland Calif. — Once gritty, now a top music and restaurant scene in the Bay Area.
- Tokyo — An unusually accessible and welcoming city due to last year’s tragedy.
- Tanzania — So much more than Mt Kilimanjaro, think upscale safari destination.
- Chilean Patagonia — Adventure hotspot meets rugged luxury lodges.
- Lhasa, Tibet — Holy luxury now awaits.
- Havana, Cuba — Private enterprise is behind a prolific opening of B&Bs and restaurants, some in gorgeous colonial villas.
Where do you wish you could travel to in 2012?