Weekend workshop: how to create a simple nude eye
I’m no makeup artist. Far from it. I do like playing with makeup and I’ve picked the brains of every makeup artist who’s ever worked his or her magic on my face.
Just this week I was getting all made up for TV and the gorgeous makeup artist was a little bit shocked when I just suggested she do what she thought I needed. Apparently a lot of other people who sit in her chair are specific about what they should have put on their face.
Me, all I asked was that 10 years were shaved off. In hindsight she may have preferred me give her a colour preference.
Anyhoo, at home I’m generally a makeup cheat. It has to be simple, easy and achievable in minutes. In these conditions, I go for a nude eye.
In this video, do not be scared by words such as contouring and me describing a brush as like a windscreen wiper. And a word of warning, you will not find perfection in this vlog. I’m no spring chicken.
Step by step
1. Apply vanilla base colour over entire eye area from lid to below the brow.
2. Apply next tone of colour just to the lid.
3. Apply darkest tone in an sideways V shape in crease and near eyelid line.
4. Use the windscreen wiper brush to blend and blur any stripes – your eyelid is not a racing car.
5. Unlike in my vlog, please add eyeliner and some mascara. I look albino like. Urggghh.
I used these two brushes – a standard eye colour brush – and the windscreen wiper one. Technically I should have used a different brush for each colour but I’m lazy not technical. I did wipe them with a tissue in between.
Some nude palettes I like and you might like too
1. Sleek iDivine Eyeshadow Palette in Au Naturel @ Crush Cosmetics $19.95 | 2. Nude by Nature Natural Eye Palette Trio $24.95 | 3. NP Set Glam Set (Available at select Big W and Target stores and David Jones) $29 – also includes cheek and lip colours | 4. Innoxa Naturally Nude Eye Shadow Palette $14.95 | 5. Wet N Wild Colour Icon Eyeshadow trio $9.95 @ Crush Cosmetics
Do you find eye makeup easy? Or are you a bit slap-dash like me?
Let me know if you have any questions about this week’s weekend workshop – and if you have a fashion or beauty question you’d like me to address in these posts, leave a comment below or email me: email@example.com