Opinion : What’s Up With The Waiting Times Doc?
Are you sick of having to wait for WAY TOO LONG at the doctors? Me too.
I just don’t get it. I am always on time for my appointment, most of the time I’m early and I have three children to get in and out of the car. Still, I manage to do what they ask and get there on time. Some doctors cancel your appointment or push you back in the queue if you’re late. Fair enough. But what isn’t cool is that the one thing I am certain of is having to sit for sometimes over an hour waiting. Even when I ring in advance to see how far behind they’re running – I still wait. I’m all for thorough appointments and not being rushed when talking about the health of my family, but seriously if it happens every time then there’s obviously a scheduling problem. They cram too many patients into one day. Something’s got to change. It drives me crazy.
Here’s seven things I’d rather be doing than waiting at the doctors:
1) Do my washing. Yep, that’s right. I’d rather be doing cleaning around the house than sitting on those uncomfortable chairs thinking about the stuff at home I could be doing.
2) Pushing my kids on the swing and that’s saying something. I dislike swing pushing. With three children there’s often at least one screaming for a turn and two others demanding to be pushed higher and higher. It makes my arms hurt and my brain numb with boredom.
3) Doing a spin class. Yep, those super hard classes where your legs burn, sweat pours out of everywhere and you tell yourself “you’ll never be able to walk again”.
4) Go to Bunnings with my husband and pick out wood for a fence, buys nails and fight over plant choices for the garden. I’m sure I’m not alone when I say there’s always some sort of heated discussion when choosing plants. Always.
5) Do the food shopping with my children after school. You know that time of the day when the supermarket is full of tired kids and grumpy parents. There’s a tantrum happening somewhere and then there’s the chatty checkout operators who insist on asking you all about your day. All you want to say is: “Please don’t talk to me, this is possibly the only quiet five minutes of my day. I’m sure you’re super lovely and I know exactly what it’s like scanning groceries, but please don’t make me talk”.
6) Baking 50 cup cakes for the school fundraiser. I am not a baker, unlike others I know. And for this reason alone, it could end up that I need to bake double to get 50 that taste and look edible. The whole idea of it makes me squirm, but not as much as waiting does.
7) And lastly, I’d much rather be in the doctor’s room talking to a doctor in my allocated appointment time, rather than sitting in a crowded surgery with sick people coughing on everyone and my children going feral. Yes, that’s exactly what I’d rather be doing.
Do you have to wait a long time at your doctor’s? Does it make you grumpy?
What would you rather be doing instead of waiting?
Have a fab day,
Main Photo: Dutch By Design