Food: Eleven Healthy Brown Rice Recipes
I used to hate brown rice. It made me think of Neil from The Young Ones and farts and greasy hair. He’s got a lot to answer for, that Neil. Ugh.
Luckily, brown rice has MUCH less greasy, MUCH more fabulous ambassadors now. People like Heidi Swanson and Lola Berry and Sarah Wilson and Naturally Ella. All completely lovely and not hippily off-putting in the slightest. Not only that, brown rice has LOTS more nutrients than white rice, because it’s only partly milled (white rice is totally milled) and retains almost all of its nutritional value. (White rice loses a ton of nutrients as its brown outer layers are removed.)
I’ve been questing for better health over the last few years, and I’ve turned over a new leaf in the brown rice department. I’m now a HUGE fan of it. It’s my preferred rice, closely followed by (brown) basmati. I try to have it for breakfast every other day, piled with fresh veggies and humus. It keeps me going for a LONG TIME and is much more substantial than toast. (Although I do love toast too, especially RYE or GRAINY toast!)
You might like to try it for breakfast too? Or for lunch or dinner, even? Perhaps you are already an aficionado in the brown rice department? Maybe you could share your favourite recipe in the comments? I’d love to know how you do it!
1. (via Herbed brown rice salad recipe via Chatelaine)
2. (via Japanese Chicken and Brown Rice Salad via food of fancy)
3. (via Roasted Sweet Potato And Brown Rice Salad via Taste.com.au)
4. (via Chickpea, Brown Rice And Spinach Pilaf Recipe via Taste.com.au)
5. (via Brown Rice Salad with Crunchy Sprouts and Seeds via bonappetit.com)
6. (via Pumpkin, mushroom & brown rice bowls recipe via BBC Good Food)
7. (via Brown Fried Rice with Chicken and Vegetables Recipe via The Lemon Bowl)
8. (via Chickpea-Brown Rice Veggie Burger via Whole Living)
9. (via Picnic Recipe: Brown Rice Salad with Apples, Walnuts, and Cherries via The Kitchn)
10. (via Chicken and Brown Rice – Martha Stewart Recipes)
11. (via Brown Rice with Black Beans via Martha Stewart)
Are you into brown rice?