Life : Five Things I Wish I’d Known At Fifteen : By Daydream Lily
As a teenager I was wild, creative and free-spirited. I grew up in a small town, and clearly it wasn’t big enough for me! I spent way too much time day dreaming, causing trouble and fighting against the world. It was those creative, free-spirited teenage days that inspired Daydream Lily. I really wanted to reconnect with that young self, the Liss who lived so freely, full of love and life, and I wanted to combine her with the new improved (grown up) wiser version of myself.
Here are some things I wish I knew when I was 15, things that only time and experience have taught me.
1. Be proud of who you are, don’t worry about not fitting in or what those mean girls are saying about you. I know it seems like the end of the world now, but you will look back and realise those (sometimes difficult) years last such a short period of time. They’re just a tiny blip, in fact. You will find a whole world filled with amazing people who inspire you to be a better version of yourself. Don’t be afraid to get out there and find them.
2. Travel more and travel light. Traveling will show you a whole new world outside your own and teach you more about yourself than anything else can.
3. Don’t waste so much of your life in a relationship that you knew in your heart wasn’t right. Trust your instincts over and above what everyone else is telling you. Living with doubt in your heart everyday isn’t normal, there is going to be something much better waiting and you will then get to know what it means to truly love. Also don’t spend so much time trying to please your ex’s parents, they clearly may NEVER like you!
4. You can have the life you want! Don’t be scared of failing or going after what you want. If you don’t live your life you will end up living someone else’s version of your life. Grab life with both hands.
5. Don’t be in such a hurry to grow up. Slow down and enjoy each stage of your life more. It’s really OK to NOT have it all together just yet.
Queensland based Liss Winnel writes Daydream Lily, a blog about beautiful things, must-haves and dreamy days. Liss is a total design and fashion buff. When she’s not blogging she is taking photos, hugging her pup or hunting for cute vintage things to dot about her home. She’s been blogging since 2008, is a Frankie Magazine favourite and has designed a couple of clothing ranges with local label Element, too.